>

1/72 DC-3 metal Douglas Factory model sells for $1692

This is where you can post your BUY / SELL / TRADE / WANTED adverts for aircraft display models. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE WEBSITE OWNER CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR TRANSACTIONS ARRANGED THROUGH THIS FORUM.

1/72 DC-3 metal Douglas Factory model sells for $1692

Postby Henry Tenby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:39 am

All I can say is .... "holy s#@t ...!!!!" ... almost $1700 for a 1/72 metal DC-3 model. Someone must have a printing press in their basement!

Here are the details on this model from the ebay listing which closed on June 19/11:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380346791522&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:CA:1123

DOUGLAS DC-3 CONTRACTOR'S MODEL

This auction is for an original 'Contractor's Model' of a Douglas 'DC-3' passenger airplane. The maker of this fully metal model is unknown and I welcome the benefit of knowing who (what model building company) would have produced this model for Douglas in the late 1930's to mid 1940's.

Although I can't be entirely certain, the scale appears to be about 1/70 to 1/90 . The model dimensions are as follows:

Wingspan: 16 inches

Height (base to tail tip): 9.75 inches

Length: (nose to tail): 11.0 inches

This plane exhibits the corporate colors of the Copley Press (blue and white) and was likely an early corporate jet owned (or originally bought) by Jim Copley's father Ira Copley. The 'ringing bell' (of truth) logo on the plane's tail and the call numbers are clue's to the likely purpose of this plane.

The plane is on a 'ball and joint' swivel type mount on the base post so, one can position the plane in various angles to simulate various flying motions. Additionally, the metal propellers spin freely.

Because this example came from the Jim Copley Estate, and he frequently received early examples of contractor's models and likely would have been among the earlier reciepients of an important model such as this. His role as an infleuential newspaper owner, former Navy Officer and friend of the GOP and the later Nixon Administration would have had him on a 'short list' of earlier reciepients for mementos of this type.

The model is in excellent overall condition with absolutely no demostrable flaws. There are no chips, dings, cracks or scratches I can find on the model whatsoever. The decal is perfect.
Attachments
DC-3DFM.jpg
Henry Tenby

Return to BUY / SELL / TRADE / WANTED