>

Introduction & Hello From Skythings

General discussion for aircraft display model collectors.

Introduction & Hello From Skythings

Postby Noel Wallace » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Hello - I thought I would just introduce myself and say hello. I am an novice model collector with an interest in aviation and space. My background includes over 30 years working the Calgary aviation industry.

My aviation collection is focused on mostly Canadian aircraft. Eight years ago I sadly, in a moment of weakness, decided to sell off most of my then collection. Last year I decided to start it over again. I have discovered I am this time around a tiny bit smarter and more focused. In less than two years I have returned my collection back to a respectable position. This time I have collected aviation items and models which have a specific meaning or memories for me. Funny thing is this 2nd version of my collection is better than the first in many ways. There are only about 3 models in the original collection which I truly regret selling and would like to find them again. Some of the models in my new collection I eventually plan to have restored to specific aircraft indents and livery.

My airline focus is Wardair, CP Air, Pacific Western Airlines, and Air Canada with the black nose livery. I have been impressed with the Inflight200 200 scale models and have 16 so far. I like them because they are quality and smaller taking less real-estate in my display case. But I still love the larger scale metal or resin vintage airliners and will find space if the right models come along. I am always looking for specific vintage larger scale models of the above airlines or any Calgary based corporate aircraft. Dome Petroleum, Imperial Oil, Business Flights, Petro Canada and Canadian Military as examples. Let me know if you have any leads in this regard.

I have recently put everything onto my non-commercial website. www.skythings.ca Please have a look and say hello through the "Contact Me"

Thank you,

Noel
Noel Wallace

Re: Introduction & Hello From Skythings

Postby Henry Tenby » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi Noel,

Great post and thank you for sharing your website link. Great website and you have some really neat stuff.

Can you tell please me where is the collection that you show on the left side of this page: http://www.skythings.ca/my-aviation-collection/aircraft-shelf-models/

It appears to be a museum, and they have some amazing models!
Henry Tenby

Postby Noel Wallace » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Your kind words are very appreciated. Thank you.

Most of the photo's of the models on the left side of the page were taken at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center |Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum just outside of Washington D.C. https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/
They are the models inside the glass display cases. It is an incredible display about 150 ft long with 3 tiers of vintage pristine models. The spaceship model used in the Hollywood movie Encounters of the Third Kind, and was located in the James S. McDonnell Space Hangar where the Shuttle is parked. At least it was in August 2010 when I visited.

The other photo's were taken at the National Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa this past November. These models obviously have a Canadian subject matter and are quite unique. http://casmuseum.techno-science.ca/en/index.php

I posted some of the photo's on my Photo Bucket site so if your interested you can see a larger image.
http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Skythin ... t=6&page=1
Noel Wallace

Postby Henry Tenby » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi Noel,

Thank you for the info on the sources of these amazing collections. I have not been to either but will now put them on my bucket list of museums to visit to see excellent aircraft display models.

In years past I recall seeing some very nice display models in cases at Las Vegas McCarren airport but they have been missing for years. Maybe they moved the location where they were displayed. Other than that, I have never seen display model collections like this links you posted, so thank you again Noel for sharing them.
Henry Tenby

Return to General Discussion & Newsletter Chat