>

Raise Up Convair CV-440

General discussion for aircraft display model collectors.

Raise Up Convair CV-440

Postby Lorne Jordan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:35 am

Just found a Raise Up Convair CV-440 1:72 in near mint cond. with a fabulous stand, and I am wondering what it would be appraised at by my fellow collectors. I've posted a picture here and higher res. pictures are available upon request at [email protected]. The model is gorgeous. Some chrome loss on props, and little abrasions and chips here and there but overall really fabulous condition for a 60 year old model that is in delivery colours for Eastern, which I believe is quite rate in this model/livery for Raise Up. Please send any questions or replies to my email as well, as I am not sure how to navigate this forum page and may not be able to see replies here. Once again, that is [email protected]. Thanks! Lorne
Attachments
Raise Up Convair 440.jpg - Copy.png
Raise Up Convair 440.jpg - Copy.png (220.45 KiB) Viewed 16720 times
Lorne Jordan

Re: Raise Up Convair CV-440

Postby Henry Tenby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:58 am

This is a very lovely model. And it is rare to see in this condition.

Like with any model, value is detemined by what a highest bidder will pay at a specific time. Which can varry depending on whether deep pocket buyers are in a buying mood at the time a model is offered.

With these caveats out of the way, I would say in this condition the model could not be easily replaced for less than several hundred dollars. At auction it could go for more, maybe a thousand or more. If you have two wealthy buyers bidding against each other at auction it could go higher. But with no deep pocket bidders an auction result could be a lot less.

If it were my model I would not sell it for less than high several hundred. Just my opinion.
Henry Tenby

Postby Lorne Jordan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks Henry. Actually I goofed on the scale, it is in fact 1:50. I found a Convair 440 1:50 model kit with measurements and it was a spot on match. I have two other opinions that it should be worth about $2000 given its scale, livery, age and condition. Even the stand alone is amazing.

I am looking to trade it for a large scale vintage Air Canada of roughly the same scale, in Air Canada's classic red tail livery colours from 1965-1988 (i.e. 727, 767, 777, 747, DC-8). So, that is why I need to know it's approximate value as I am an experienced collector, but not with unique antique models such as this one, and I simply cannot afford to make a mistake! I have three other Fermos, this Raise Up and many dozens of older mass produced larger scale models like Flyteline, Wesco, etc., and lots of Inflight 1:200s etc., but this is such a rare one I had to be sure. Any collectors who may like to trade this for vintage Air Canada, email me! [email protected]. Thanks.
Lorne Jordan

Postby Henry Tenby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 pm

Yes indeed a 1/50 scale is much large and more valuable than a 1/72 scale model. Given the size and condition of your model I would agree that takes the valuation up by a significant factor.

And for the right buyer it would be worth a few thousand dollars indeed.

If you are wanting to sell it for absolute top top dollar, and at the same time determine the present value of an item like this, as you probably know, you'd list it for sale on ebay. It will sell for accurate market value at that moment in time.

Good luck! It is a wonderful, museum grade model that we do not often see in this condition.
Henry Tenby

Postby Lorne Jordan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Sold for $2700 Canadian.
Lorne Jordan

Return to General Discussion & Newsletter Chat