>

Yellowing of Verkuyl models

General discussion for aircraft display model collectors.

Yellowing of Verkuyl models

Postby Henry Tenby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 am

I have collected a number of Verkuyl metal models over the past few decades, and every single Verkuyl model in my collection has the white paint fading to yellow.

Is this problem by huge coincidence only happening on my models? Or do other collectors have the same problem with their Verkuyls as well?

I have Verkuyls made for Lufthansa, Fokker factory models made by Verkuyl, and others ... and all of them have the white fading to yellow.

Some people have suggested leaving the model in hot summer sun as this can apparently reverse the effects of the yellowing.

We're now into summer here in Vancouver and I have been leaving one of my worst faded Verkuyls to sun herself in the summer sun on our back porch for several days in a row, and the sun bathing has had zero effect on the model. (In this case it is a 1/100 house livery VFW-614) ... does anyone have any other ideas?

Of course Verkuyl models that are not painted with white crowns such as Fokker F28s in the orange house livery and my NLM F27 (blue crown) do not this problem.

I am interested to hear what other collectors have to say in this regard.
Henry Tenby

Re: Yellowing of Verkuyl models

Postby Fernand Van de Plas » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 am

Hi Henry,

I have only two original Verkuyl metal models (end of production) in my collection and they are still white.

Stratocruiser 1:72
DC-3 1:72
Fernand Van de Plas

Re: Yellowing of Verkuyl models

Postby Henry Tenby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Very nice models!

I think these models were made in the 1980s by Verkuyl specially for collectors and were not produced in the 1960s or 70s. So these models were made with modern paints and clear coats and have not faded at all.

But every Verkuyl model that I own is from the 60s and 70s .. and those models have the white paint fading with a yellow tint .. sadly. Each and every one of them has this problem .. and they all came from different sources over the many years of collecting.
Henry Tenby

Return to General Discussion & Newsletter Chat