>

A 1/72 metal DC-4M2 model for me

General discussion for aircraft display model collectors.

A 1/72 metal DC-4M2 model for me

Postby Henry Tenby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:38 am

I recently acquired this 1/72 DC-4M2 Northstar / Argonaut metal model .. which as can be seen from the two photos below, will be a full restoration project.

The model was acquired with the chipped white paint on the upper crown, which I have since removed to prepare the model for polishing.

The underside of the wing has a G-BOAC registration so this vintage 50s model was originally a BOAC example. Unfortunately the model did not come with a stand. I plan to refinish the model using Vintage Flyer Decals TCA Northstar decals.

The underside of the model is stamped C-74 along with the number 231. Does this mean this particular casting was the 231st model made of its type? Seems not likely as I don't think that in the early 1950s 230+ models would have been made by BOAC of the Argonaut. But maybe this was the case. There is no indication as to the maker of the model, but my educated guess would be Walkers Westway. If anyone has any information as to the origins of this model please post your info below for the benefit of others who view this post.

In some 20 years of collecting this is only the second time I've seen a 1/72 DC-4M2 model in the flesh. The one and only other time I saw one was at the Newark Airline Enthusiast convention in September of 1997.
Attachments
DC4M2-2.JPG
DC4M2-1.JPG
Henry Tenby

Re: A 1/72 metal DC-4M2 model for me

Postby Francois RENAUD » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:31 am

Hello Henry,
I send you a photo of my Walker Westway 1/72e BOAC Argonaut :

You could find more BOAC Walkers Westway metal model here
http://www.art-aviation.com/galerie-SAS.htm
regards,
FR
Francois RENAUD

Re: A 1/72 metal DC-4M2 model for me

Postby Henry Tenby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello FR ... fabulous model!! This is most likely the same model. I very much appreciate your posting the comparison model .. confirming the origin of my model. I will try to refinish my model in TCA livery.
Henry Tenby

Return to General Discussion & Newsletter Chat