>

Refinishing a Verkuyl 1/200 C130 Hercules in metal

General discussion for aircraft display model collectors.

Refinishing a Verkuyl 1/200 C130 Hercules in metal

Postby Henry Tenby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:36 am

In the late 1990s I acquired an unfinished Verkuyl C130 Hercules model in metal in 1/200 scale from another collector. For some reason the model was never completed by Verkuyl so it would require a lot of work to finish the piece.

Fast forward to 2013 and I am finally putting the hours in to finish this model, and I have chosen to put the aircraft into 1960s era Canadian Forces Air Transport Command colours, using an original Verkuyl decal sheet.

The amount of hours that went into primer, silver and white paint were quite a lot for such a small model. It took several hours to mask the aircraft for the white crown paint, which has a complex arrangement around the wing root and rear tail, where wing walks and other surface are left silver. Masking such a small area was painstakingly difficult, as you can see from the first photo below.

The second photo shows the model with the tape removed. I shall be uploading follow on photos showing this model as it progresses through to the final completion, some 14-15 years after I originally acquired the model.
Attachments
Herc1photo.JPG
Herc2photo.JPG
Henry Tenby

Return to General Discussion & Newsletter Chat